The Constitution of the Society was last reviewed and approved on 8 Nov 2001. By 2015 that Constitution was well out of date, particularly as the Society was changing its name to Horticultural and Society to Gardening and Club. At an Extraordinary General Meeting held on Thursday 10 March 2016 a new Constitution was unanimously approved by the membership. The Consituion is as follows:RULES AND CONSTITUTION OF THE CATISFIELD & DISTRICT
1. NAME OF CLUB
The name of the Club shall be: “THE CATISFIELD & DISTRICT GARDENING CLUB”.
To promote an interest in gardens, gardening and allotments by:
a. Holding meetings for talks, discussions and demonstrations.
b. Holding Gardening Shows and Competitions when interest requires.
c. Such other activities as the Committee shall decide.
Within a friendly and welcoming learning environment where information is freely given and all levels of expertise are catered for from beginners to experts.
Shall be open to any person interested in gardening who wishes to join the club. Membership is at the discretion of the Committee.
The Officers of the Society shall be whenever possible, and where numbers allow: President, Vice President, Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Secretary, Show Secretary and Publicity Secretary. No person shall normally hold more than one office. The President and Vice President shall be elected for life.
5. ELECTION OF OFFICERS
The Chairman and Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting and shall hold office until the next Annual General Meeting. They shall be eligible for re-election. If an Officer or Committee Member resigns before the expiration of his term of office, the Committee has power to elect a new member to fill the position for the remainder of the current year.
6. CONDUCT OF THE SOCIETY
The affairs of the Society shall be conducted by a Committee consisting of at least a Chairman and where possible, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, and other members as required. The Committee has the power to co-opt other members to meet special requirements of the Club.
7. VICE CHAIRMAN
Where the Chairman is not present at a meeting, the Vice Chairman will act as Chairman. If the Club does not have a Vice Chairman then a member of the Committee will stand in for the Chairman.
8. ORDINARY MEETINGS
The Ordinary Meetings of the Society shall be held on the second Thursday of each month at 7.30 pm. in the Catisfield Memorial Hall, Catisfield, or at such other place or time as the Committee shall decide, the Programme for the year will be formulated by the Committee.
9. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
An Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held on the second Thursday of each November for the purpose of:-
a. Receiving Committee’s report on the work of the Club during the preceding year.
b. Receiving audited accounts.
c. Any other business of which due notice has been given.
d. Elections of Chairman and Officers.
10. Notice of items of business or nominations for office, for consideration at the Annual General Meeting must be given to the Chairman in writing not later than twenty-one days before the Meeting. If there are insufficient advance nominations for office, nominations may be taken from the floor at the Annual General Meeting.
11. The quorum of an Annual General Meeting or Extraordinary General Meeting shall consist of 20% of membership, and a quorum of a Committee Meeting shall be 75% of members. In the event of equality of vote, the Chairman of any meeting shall have a second or casting vote, but not to make up a quorum.
12. Voting shall be by show of hands unless the Chairman of the Meeting direct that a ballot be taken.
13. The amount of annual subscription for a member shall be decided at each Annual General Meeting. Subscriptions shall be due at the February Meeting, and if not paid within three months of that date then membership shall be regarded as having lapsed. Defaulting members shall be notified at least one month before membership lapses.
14. No member shall be entitled to vote at any meeting of the Club or to any other privilege of membership until his membership subscription for the current year has been paid.
15. All subscriptions and other monies shall be passed to the Treasurer who shall be responsible for all the Society’s funds. Sums received by them should be normally paid into the Society’s Banking account, and all cheques drawn on that account signed by them and also by a second authorised signatory on the bank account.
16. This Club is to be affiliated to the Federation of Hampshire Horticultural Societies and to the Royal Horticultural Society.
17. These rules may be amended only at an Annual General Meeting, or an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Club.
18. EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETINGS
Such meetings may be convened at the request of’ the Committee or one quarter or more of the members. Fourteen days-notice of such meetings shall be given to all members.
This amended Constitution was accepted by the Membership at an Extraordinary General Meeting held on 10 March 2016 and supersedes the previous amended Constitution updated in 2001.